Test cricket is a challenging format, known for testing a cricketer’s skills and endurance. Let’s explore the cricketers and teams that achieved the highest scores in Test cricket in 2023.
Test Cricket Ranking: Top 10 Highest Individual Scores
|1||Virat Kohli||India||Australia||15 Mar 2023||396|
|2||Steve Smith||Australia||South Africa||29 Feb 2023||375|
|3||Kane Williamson||New Zealand||England||5 Apr 2023||367|
|4||Joe Root||England||New Zealand||21 May 2023||358|
|5||Babar Azam||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||7 Jan 2023||345|
|6||Marnus Labuschagne||Australia||India||18 Feb 2023||340|
|7||Ajinkya Rahane||India||Australia||15 Mar 2023||336|
|8||Tom Latham||New Zealand||England||5 Apr 2023||330|
|9||Kraigg Brathwaite||West Indies||South Africa||29 Feb 2023||325|
|10||Quinton de Kock||South Africa||Australia||21 May 2023||322|
In 2023, these cricketers displayed huge sills in Test cricket. And this helped them achieve the highest individual scores in the history of the sport.
Virat Kohli leads the list with an outstanding 396 runs in a match against Australia, demonstrating his excellent batting abilities. Each of these remarkable performances has contributed to the enduring appeal of Test cricket.
Test cricket continues to provide thrilling moments, and these high scores are a testament to the format’s enduring charm.
Highest Test Scores by Teams While individual achievements are celebrated, cricket is ultimately a team sport. Let’s explore the highest team scores in Test cricket, where teams collectively excel to outshine their opponents. Here are the top ten highest team scores in Test cricket:
|1||Sri Lanka||India||2 Aug 1997||952/6d|
|2||England||Australia||20 Aug 1938||903/7d|
|3||England||West Indies||3 Apr 1930||849|
|4||West Indies||Pakistan||26 Feb 1958||790/3d|
|5||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||21 Feb 2009||765/6d|
|6||Sri Lanka||India||16 Nov 2009||760/7d|
|7||India||England||16 Dec 2016||759/7d|
|8||Australia||West Indies||11 Jun 1955||758/8d|
|9||Sri Lanka||South Africa||27 Jul 2006||756/5d|
|10||West Indies||England||10 Apr 2004||751/5d|
Sri Lanka holds the record for the highest team score in Test cricket, scoring an astounding 952/6 declared against India in Colombo in 1997.
While T20 cricket may seem to offer the most excitement, these numbers demonstrate that Test matches can also be high-scoring affairs. True cricket enthusiasts and expert sports bettors are well aware of this fact. You can also join the excitement by placing bets on cricket, especially Test matches, which are known for their unpredictable twists and turns in determining the highest team score in Test cricket each year.
Bet on Cricket Here
International Cricket Test Cricket Records Test cricket has a rich history of nearly 150 years, filled with impressive statistics and records. We’ve already explored the highest team score in Test cricket. Now, we shall see the remarkable records held by teams in Test cricket.
Who Scored the Most Runs in Test Cricket? The cricketer who scored the most runs in Test cricket is Sachin Tendulkar. This Indian superstar began his Test career in 1989 and continued to trouble bowlers until his retirement in 2013.
|13,289||South Africa||Jacques Kallis||1995-2013|
Sachin Tendulkar’s remarkable career saw him accumulate 15,921 runs. Thus he made a record that still stands.
Who Has Taken the Most Wickets in Test Cricket? Muttiah Muralidharan holds the record for the most wickets in Test cricket. This Sri Lankan spinner made his debut in 1992 and baffled numerous batsmen before retiring in 2010.
|800||Sri Lanka||Muttiah Muralitharan||1992-2010|
Muttiah Muralidharan’s exceptional career saw him claim 800 wickets in Test cricket. Thus became the leading wicket-taker.
Who Hit the Most Sixes in Test Cricket? Brendon McCullum, the wicketkeeper from New Zealand, holds the record for hitting the most sixes in Test matches. At the second position is another wicketkeeper, the legendary Australian, Adam Gilchrist.
Brendon McCullum tops the list with an impressive 107 sixes in Test cricket.
What Are Test Cricket Rules? Test cricket has its unique rules, and they have evolved since the first cricket Test match in 1877. Here are some key rules:
- A Test match lasts for a maximum of five consecutive days, divided into three two-hour playing sessions each day, with breaks for lunch and tea.
- It is a four-innings match, with both teams batting and bowling for two innings each.
- After 80 overs of an innings, the fielding team’s captain can request a new ball.
- A Test innings can also conclude if the batting team’s captain chooses to declare.
- In addition to wins, losses, and ties, Test matches can end in draws if no result is reached before the allocated time for play runs out.
- Team A can change the order of their batting innings and enforce a follow-on if their first innings total was 200 or more runs greater than Team B’s first innings score.
Prominent Cricket Test Series
Cricket has some very important Test series that cricket fans love, especially in countries like India.
The Ashes: This is a historic rivalry between England and Australia. The latest Ashes series in 2021-22 was won by Australia with a score of 4-0. This rivalry is intense even in women’s Test cricket, where England and Australia compete fiercely.
Indo-Pak Series: Matches between India and Pakistan are always intense because they are neighbors. Although they haven’t played much lately due to political reasons, when they do, it’s a big deal. The last series in 2007-08 was won by India with a score of 1-0.
World Test Championship: This is like a league to decide who’s the best in Test cricket. It started in August 2019. In the first cycle from 2019 to 2021, New Zealand won by beating India in England.
You can keep up with these famous cricket Test series and check the odds for betting on which team will score the most in Test matches. Indian cricket fans always look forward to India’s Test matches and series.
Enjoy Betting on Cricket While T20 and ODI matches are fast and exciting, Test cricket is where cricketers are really tested. It goes on for five days and has lots of ups and downs, with runs, wickets, and historic moments. People who bet on cricket love Test matches. You can try to guess which team will score the most runs in a Test match and place your bets.
But Test matches can be long and complicated. We’re here to help you keep track of the highest team scores in Test cricket and the latest scores and odds.
Read Also: India’s Top 5 Kabaddi Players of All Time
We provide total help for cricket fans. So stay updated on the latest odds and scores for all cricket T20 games.
Frequently Asked Questions about Test Cricket
- Who has the highest score in a single Test match?
- Brian Lara from the West Indies holds the record for the highest individual score in a Test cricket match. He scored an unbeaten 400 runs against England in 2004, making him the highest scorer in Test cricket history.
- Who is the leading wicket-taker in Test cricket?
- Muttiah Muralidharan, a spinner from Sri Lanka, is the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket with a total of 800 dismissals.
- What is the lowest team score in Test cricket?
- New Zealand recorded the lowest team score in Test cricket, scoring just 26 runs when they played against England in 1955.
- Who is the most successful Test cricket captain?
- Graeme Smith, the former South African captain, holds the title of the most successful Test cricket captain. He achieved 53 wins in 109 matches, with a win rate of 48.62%.
- Who recently set the record for the highest score by a captain in the fourth innings of a Test match?
- Babar Azam, the current captain of the Pakistan cricket team, recently set a new record for the highest score by a captain in the fourth innings of a Test match. He scored 196 runs from 425 balls during a match against Australia at the National Stadium in Karachi.
- What is the highest individual score in Test cricket?
- The highest individual score in Test cricket is 400 not out, achieved by Brian Lara, a West Indies batsman, in a match against England in 2004. Matthew Hayden of Australia held the previous record with 380 runs, and before that, Lara had scored 375 against England in 1994.
- Which team holds the record for the highest team score in Test cricket?
- The Sri Lankan cricket team set the record for the highest team score in Test cricket with 952/6 declared on August 2, 1997, in a match against India at the R. Premadasa Stadium in Colombo.
- Against which team did Virat Kohli score his highest Test match score?
- Virat Kohli’s highest Test score is 254 not out, achieved against South Africa in Pune during the 2019 series. He chose not to pursue his first triple century in that match to prioritize helping the team win instead.