Ravichandran Ashwin, the skilled Indian off-spinner, has not only made a name for himself as a bowler but has also displayed his batting prowess on multiple occasions. Throughout his Test career, Ashwin has played crucial innings and registered centuries that have contributed significantly to India’s success. In this article, we will take a closer look at Ashwin’s Test centuries, providing a comprehensive list of his remarkable batting achievements.
Before potentially ensnaring the Bangladeshi batsmen in their spinning web, the formidable spin-duo of Ravichandran Ashwin (58) and Kuldeep Yadav (40) orchestrated a resilient 92-run partnership for the eighth wicket. Their steadfast alliance proved to be a game-changing stand, rescuing India from a precarious situation in the first innings of the opening Test match at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium.
On the second day, India suffered a setback as their last specialist batsman, Shreyas Iyer (86), managed to add only four runs to his overnight score. However, undeterred by the early setback, Ashwin and Yadav joined forces, showcasing their unwavering determination and trust in their batting abilities. They tactfully tackled the Bangladeshi bowlers and, through their exemplary display, propelled their team to a commendable total of 404 runs in 133.5 overs.
Kuldeep Yadav, making a comeback to Test cricket after a hiatus of 22 months, achieved a personal milestone by notching up his career-best score, narrowly missing out on a maiden Test half-century. Despite this slight disappointment, Yadav’s innings displayed his growth as a batsman and his ability to contribute significantly to the team’s cause.
Among the two, Ravichandran Ashwin, widely regarded as a more accomplished batsman, showcased his class by registering his 13th Test half-century. This notable achievement placed him alongside Cheteshwar Pujara (90) and Shreyas Iyer as the third Indian batsman to score a half-century in this innings. It was a momentous occasion for Ashwin as he recorded his maiden Test half-century against Bangladesh, his second of the year 2022, fifth on foreign soil, sixth batting at the number 8 position, and 11th in Asian conditions.
Throughout his innings, Ashwin exuded confidence and looked assured at the crease. Striking two boundaries and two sixes at a commendable strike rate of 51.32, he demonstrated his ability to control the game for a significant period. Notably, Ashwin reached the milestone of 50 runs with a well-timed single off Taijul Islam’s delivery in the 123rd over.
However, in a bid to take on his counterpart, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Ashwin couldn’t connect with the ball, resulting in a stumping by Bangladesh wicket-keeper Nurul Hasan. Unfortunately, this dismissal not only halted the progress towards a potential 100-run partnership but also denied Ashwin the opportunity to achieve his sixth Test century on that Thursday.
Despite the missed milestones, Ashwin’s contribution with the bat proved invaluable to the Indian team, elevating their total and putting them in a favorable position. The significance of his innings and his ability to consistently deliver with both bat and ball solidify his stature as a key player in the Indian cricket setup.
Ravichandran Ashwin’s Test Centuries
|Sir Vivian Richards Stadium
|Daren Sammy National Cricket Stadium
|MA Chidambaram Stadium
- 103 vs. West Indies – Wankhede Stadium, 2011: Ashwin’s first Test century came against West Indies at the Wankhede Stadium in 2011. He showcased his batting skills by scoring 103 runs off just 118 balls. During his innings, Ashwin struck 15 boundaries and 2 sixes, exhibiting his ability to find the gaps and play attacking shots.
- 124 vs. West Indies – Eden Gardens, 2013: Ashwin continued his impressive batting form against West Indies in the 2013 Test series held at Eden Gardens. He notched up a splendid century, scoring 124 runs off 210 deliveries. This innings displayed his patience and solid technique as he accumulated runs with 11 boundaries.
Also Read: India vs West Indies Head-to-Head Tests, ODIs, T20s Records
- 113 vs. West Indies – Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, 2016: In the same series against West Indies, Ashwin proved his consistency with the bat. At the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, he crafted a magnificent innings, scoring 113 runs off 253 balls. Ashwin’s knock included 12 boundaries, showcasing his ability to rotate the strike and build partnerships.
- 118 vs. West Indies – Daren Sammy National Cricket Stadium, 2016: Continuing his dominance against West Indies, Ashwin registered another century during the same series at the Daren Sammy National Cricket Stadium. His innings of 118 runs off 297 deliveries demonstrated his resilience and determination. Ashwin’s innings comprised 6 boundaries and a well-struck six.
- 106 vs. England – MA Chidambaram Stadium, 2021: Ashwin’s most recent Test century came against England at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in 2021. Batting with confidence and composure, he scored a remarkable 106 runs off 148 balls. Ashwin’s innings included 14 boundaries and a six, highlighting his ability to dominate the opposition.
Ravichandran Ashwin, the skillful all-rounder, has proven his mettle with both bat and ball in Test cricket. His centuries against various opponents, including West Indies and England, showcase his versatility and contribution to the Indian team’s success. As Ashwin continues to play a vital role in the national squad, cricket enthusiasts eagerly anticipate more memorable innings and match-winning performances from this exceptional cricketer.