The excitement is building as the 2023 Asia Cup, now in its 16th edition, is set to kick off on August 30. The tournament, co-hosted by the Pakistan Cricket Board, will span across Pakistan and Sri Lanka, with the majority of matches, including the final, scheduled to take place in Sri Lanka.
This year, six formidable teams – India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and Nepal – will compete for the coveted title. A notable inclusion is Nepal, marking their debut in the Asia Cup, adding an extra layer of anticipation. This edition returns to the 50-over format, setting the stage for the upcoming ODI World Cup, following the 2022 edition which was played in the T20 format and saw Sri Lanka emerge as champions.
Asia Cup 2023: Latest on Team Updates
Pakistan has made some strategic choices for their Asia Cup squad. Notable exclusions are Shan Masood and pace sensation Ihsanullah, while all-rounder Faheem Ashraf makes a promising comeback. The spotlight will once again be on their formidable fast bowling unit, comprising Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah, and Mohammad Wasim Jnr.
Asia Cup 2023 Bangladesh has a change in leadership, with Shakib Al Hasan taking over the captaincy from regular ODI skipper Tamim Iqbal, who is sidelined due to a back injury. Additionally, veteran all-rounder Mahmudullah Riyad has been omitted from the squad.
Nepal, led by Rohit Paudel, is set to make their mark in this edition. Off-spinner Mousom Dhakal, yet to make his senior international debut, receives a call-up to the squad for the Asia Cup.
Asia Cup 2023 Squads: Comprehensive Team Lists
- India: Rohit Sharma (c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Tilak Varma, Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya (vc), Axar Patel, Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumraj, Mohammed Siraj, Mohammed Shami, Prasidh Krishna, Kuldeep Yadav, and Sanju Samson (travelling reserve).
- Pakistan: The squad includes Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam (captain), Salman Ali Agha, Iftikhar Ahmed, Tayyab Tahir, Saud Shakeel, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Haris, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Usama Mir, Faheem Ashraf, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Wasim, Naseem Shah, and Shaheen Afridi.
- Sri Lanka: Details yet to be disclosed
- Bangladesh: The lineup features captain Shakib Al Hasan, along with Litton Das, Tanzid Tamim, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Towhid Hridoy, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Hasan Mahmud, Sheikh Mahedi, Nasum Ahmed, Shamim Hossain, Afif Hossain, Shoriful Islam, Ebadot Hossain, and Naim Sheikh. Standby players are Taijul Islam, Saif Hasan, and Tanzim Hasan Sakib.
- Afghanistan: Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Rashid Khan, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Mohammad Nabi, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Ikram Alikhil, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Abdul Rahman, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Suliman Safi, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Noor Ahmad
- Nepal: Rohit Paudel leads the squad, joined by Kushal Bhurtel, Aasif Sheikh, Bhim Sharki, Kushal Malla, Aarif Sheikh, Dipendra Singh Airee, Gulshan Jha, Sompal Kami, Karan KC, Sandeep Lamichhane, Lalit Rajbanshi, Pratish GC, Mousom Dhakal, Sundeep Jora, Kishore Mahato, and Arjun Saud.
Stay tuned to us for insightful post-match analysis, player interviews, and much more.